Too often we hear people saying “I really need some PR”, which of course they probably do, but there are a few things that should be done before shouting to the press and social media about how great your product, organisation, idea or service is. Here’s a brief outline of 5 things to do before you engage a PR consultant:
- Define your target market – who are you pitching at? who do you want to buy your products/take up your services? Ensure this is your key target market, not just everyone aged 18-60!
- Set out your objectives – what do you want to achieve from the campaign? More sales or just raise awareness?
- Define your messages – what is your USP? why should people buy your products or engage with you?
- Think about your strategy – does your target market read newspapers, watch TV, are on social media or all of these?
- Ensure whatever you are promoting is looking great, ready for the market and isn’t going to crash in the first week. Ensure production is running well and you are in a happy position.
THEN you can engage your PR consultant and give them a brief and in this way your results should be much better.